- Researchers in the United Kingdom have devised an innovative artificial intelligence (AI) program that uses retinal images to pick up signs of eye, heart, and neurological disorders.
- RETFound, one of healthcare’s first AI foundation models and ophthalmology’s first, used millions of eye scans to help detect and treat blindness.
- In multiple tests, RETFound surpassed existing AI systems and clinical experts in completing a range of complex diagnostic functions with less labelled data.
- RETFound also accounts for diverse populations and rare diseases, which many traditional scans and current AI systems often miss.
- Furthermore, this ‘transformative technology’ dramatically reduces the workload of human experts in analyzing and labeling retinal imaging.
By Jeanna D. Smiley on September 22, 2023
Fact checked by Ferdinand Lali, Ph.D.
Call us at (888)-243-6602 to discuss how we can help keep your loved one safe and happy at home.